Recovering Failing Projects and Starting New Projects Properly
I sometimes get asked if I can help law firms with some hands-on legal project management services.
The firms asking tend to be medium sized law firms. Recognizing that practice development activity should be run as ‘projects’ is great, but often there is a shortage of skilled and experienced staff to call upon when projects become problematic.
Most often the projects I get asked to help with are connected with legal I.T upgrades and implementation.
Acting as an interim or part-time project management consultant I usually do something like the following:
- Assess and report (baseline) where the firm is at present with its I.T.
- Once the baseline is established I then assess how far the firm can move forward in the short-term without too much business upheaval. Obviously, law firms are busy with day-to-day client work and the essential short-term priority is to ensure business runs as usual.
- If it is then decided the firm needs to consider software available on the market I act as analyst / researcher, identifying what the firm needs and what options are available to satisfy those needs.
- Then I assist with supplier selection, acting as an intermediary between senior law firm staff and suppliers (it still amazes me at how poorly suppliers communicate with lawyers)
- Finally, I plan system roll-out and implementation which involves working constructively with all key stakeholders: lawyers, support staff and suppliers.
If you feel you need some practical project management help and guidance – especially in the field of legal I.T – then please let me know.
I’d be delighted to help as I still enjoy doing hands-on project management work.
As a former practising solicitor and I.T software developer and project manager, my particular strengths lie in assessing law firm needs then identifying and implementing the most appropriate legal I.T systems to meet those needs.
In practice this means working with:
Practice Management Systems
Legal Workflow Systems
Legal Data Analytics
Legal Project Management Systems
Legal Expert Systems and Legal A.I (I started off my legal I.T career as a legal expert system developer).
I have experience of working on both sides of the table. I have worked for legal software suppliers and in law firm I.T departments. I know how legal I.T procurement should be done and I help all stakeholders focus on the issues that really matter.
Do You Want To Improve The Effectiveness Of Your Legal I.T Systems?