IILPM Legal Project Management Certification
The International Institute of Legal Project Management (IILPM) awards legal project management certifications which are:
- Recognsied internationally.
- Based on a clear understanding of the competencies required to help deliver and lead legal services effectively, as expressed in the IILPM’s Legal Project Management Competency Framework.
- Aligned with leading project management methods and standards, especially those promoted by the Project Management Institute (PMI).
Only Accredited Training Providers (ATPs) are authorised by the IILPM to deliver courses leading to IILPM certifications.
Legal Project Management Ltd is the only ATP recognised by the IILPM to deliver courses in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.
The two certifications awarded by the IILPM are: Legal Project AssociateTM and Legal Project PractitionerTM.
Legal Project AssociateTM
The award of Legal Project AssociateTM recognises the award holder as having sufficient knowledge in legal project management such that they are able to support legal matters and / or work in legal service teams effectively.
To be eligible for the award candidates must have attended a legal project management training course recognised by the IILPM with the course duration being of at least 14 hours (two working days) in total.
Successful candidates will be entered on a database of award holders maintained by the IILPM and receive an embossed certificate confirming their status as a Legal Project AssociateTM.
Legal Project PractitionerTM
The award of Legal Project PractitionerTM recognises the award holder as having sufficient knowledge in legal project management such that they are able to lead legal project teams and assume responsibility for the operational delivery of legal services to clients by applying legal project management effectively in practice.
To be eligible for the award candidates must have attended a legal project management training course recognised by the IILPM with the course duration being of at least 21 hours (three working days) in total.
In addition, candidates must also be either:
- A practising lawyer or
- Someone who has worked as part of a legal service delivery team for at least a year or
- Someone who has provided consultancy services to the legal services industry for a least a year.
Successful candidates will be entered on a database of award holders maintained by the IILPM and receive an embossed certificate confirming their status as a Legal Project PractitionerTM.
The Educational Path Beyond Legal Project Management Certification
The Legal Project AssociateTM (LPP) certification meets the educational requirements for the internationally recognised Certificate IV in Project Management Practice (Legal PM), which can be obtained on completion of workplace evidence confirming the application of legal project management in practice.
The Legal Project PractitionerTM (LPP) certification holders can also gain advanced standing towards the Institute’s internationally recognised Diploma of Project Management (Legal PM), which has been customised for the legal profession. This too can be obtained by further training and completion of workplace evidence confirming the application of legal project management in practice.
Other entities, such as the Project Management Institute (PMI) will recognise the training towards educational prerequisites to sit their own examinations towards PMI certification. Although the International Institute of Legal project management is not a PMI Registered Education Provider (REP), the content of the courses are generally accounted as 1 PDU per hour of education.
Further information about these qualifications can be found on the website of the International Institute of Legal Project Management.
Free Online Training Course: Introduction to Legal Project Management
In this course, which takes about one hour to complete, you will find out:
- What lawyers do
- What clients want from their lawyers
- The expectation and perception gap which can open up between lawyers and their clients
- How legal project management can help bridge this gap
- How you can further develop your legal project management skills
- How you can make a start implementing legal project management in your legal service organisation.
You will be able to:
- Watch presentations on-demand, at a time and place which suits you
- Download a free e-book, which answers many common questions people have about legal project management
- Complete a self-assessment questionnaire so you can evaluate your current legal project management skills and knowledge
- Access other online material which I have curated and which will provide you with further knowledge and insight about legal project management.