“Excellent course. Provides a clear and in-depth introduction to legal project management.”
“Many topics covered in the course are relevant and helpful to the practice areas I work alongside.”
“Antony is very knowledgeable and excellent at conveying the key concepts of legal project management”.
“The three days achieved exactly what I was looking for – to pull together various bits of disparate knowledge and thinking, and to reassemble them into something more structured and coherent.”
“Incredibly useful and informative. Well structured and kept me engaged, whilst progressing at a good pace. Thank you!”
“Antony is a fantastic trainer, highly knowledgeable, very intelligent and with a great sense of humour which made the training very pleasant.”
“Antony is an expert in his field. Highly recommended”.
"An intensive and informative course providing a solid grounding for would be legal project managers."
"This is an excellent course that will provide you with all the necessary tools and information to integrate legal project management into your business".
“I would recommend this course to anyone interested in legal project management: informative, engaging and thought-provoking.”
“I feel confident I am leaving training with a sound understanding of the LPM methodology and how to implement it within the firm”.
"Fantastic course, both practical and technical".
"Excellent course, well delivered. The right level of coverage of core project management methodologies before moving on to legal project management".
“I found the course very informative…I can’t wait to put it into good practice!”
“A very informative course held in a collaborative environment.”
“As a project manager from outside the legal industry this course was a great introduction to project management in law.”
“We engaged Antony to deliver a series of seminars about Legal Project Management. Feedback from members who attended was overwhelmingly positive about both the content and presenter.”
“Antony’s course is really well run and delivered. A good mix of teaching styles: lecturing and interactive workshops / discussion points.”
"Excellent interactive course with lots of practical examples and tips that can be implemented immediately".
"An excellent training program for anyone who wants to learn about legal project management".
“Thought provoking and interesting. I look forward to putting it into practice and seeing the inevitable changes within the industry”.
"Enlightening and useful course, mixing formality with the light touch of interaction within the workshops. The course has encouraged me to want to learn more".
“I would definitely recommend the course for a detailed overview of legal project management and for upskilling”.
“I really enjoyed Antony’s course. The concepts were well explained and illustrated with interesting practical examples.”
“Antony is a smart and open-minded coach who clearly enjoys interaction with his students and I would be very happy to work with him again.”
"Excellent delivery of an innovative course. Antony showed flexibility and responsiveness to student needs. The workshops and exercises helped better understanding of the project management concepts presented".
"A course that provides a huge amount of insight and information but also makes you think very hard about how you do things and how you could do them better".
“Antony is knowledgeable and his passion for the topic was evident. The course itself has great content with lots of information, and I loved the book of templates”.
“I thought the course was really good – I’ve covered some areas before, but it was great to have those areas refreshed and there was plenty that was new.”
“Antony provided training for my team on Legal Project Management. I highly recommend Antony’s training.”
“Antony is a pleasure to work with and he has been a real asset to our business as we invest in further technology for the future benefit of our practice.”
“Antony has a strong understanding of both the legal process and IT systems. This enables him to produce very compelling solutions helping law firms to get real advantage and ROI.”
“If you want to learn about the opportunities and challenges associated with implementing legal project management and legal process improvement, I’d recommend a half day session with Antony as an excellent starting point.”
“Antony and I share similar views in relation to the application of IT to the law and he has real world experience of what the day job entails which informs his views in relation to IT.”
“Antony is particularly good at looking at market and product ideas which lie slightly outside of business as usual – he is a thorough researcher and passionate advocate of his ideas and proposals.”
“Introducing workflow systems into numerous departments and offices throughout the firm presented challenges on a number of fronts. Antony did an excellent job of managing these projects.”
For more detail please go to the testimonial page.
In 2014 I was asked to do a series of half day seminars about legal project management by the Association of Costs Lawyers (ACL).
The seminars were well received and so began my work with costs lawyers.
I get a regular flow of costs lawyers on my IILPM accredited training courses and I am delighted to say that I have contributed to Dr Mark Friston’s 3rd edition of Friston on Costs, which includes a new chapter about legal project management.
HOW TO MAKE LEGAL PROJECT MANAGEMENT WORK IN PRACTICE
The most frequent question I get asked by costs lawyers is ‘how can I make legal project management work in practice?’.
I help them with this and during my course I also have a regular ‘Alumni slot’ where previous course graduates return and explain how they have applied the course in practice. I am particularly grateful to Simon Murray, Partner and Head of Costs at DWF, who regularly fills my Alumni slot with knowledge, insight and practical tips for implementation.
OPERATIONAL LEADERSHIP, NOT JUST MANAGEMENT
Although there are plenty of challenges facing costs lawyers, I genuinely do believe they are very well placed to take on the role of legal project managers.
Cost management is a fundamental part of legal project management and of course costs lawyers already have this covered.
The legal scenario I most often use is one based on civil litigation, and through this I show how lawyers of all kinds can improve their scoping, estimation, client communications and team building skills.
On the third day of my course I also devote quite a bit of time to legal project leadership skills. Generally, I see too many legal project managers being content with managing rather than leading legal projects from an operational point of view. This needs to change and I think costs lawyers are very well placed to assume the role of legal project leaders in the right circumstances. My course provides costs lawyers with the project management knowledge, tools and techniques to allow them to perform this role successfully.
INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNISED CERTIFICATION
Having a recognised legal project management certification, after attending a course designed by lawyers for lawyers, cost lawyers should feel more confident about taking on an operational leadership role especially in the context of complex litigation.
At the end of the course attendees will become certified and registered as either Legal Project Associates (LPAs) or Legal Project Practitioners (LPPs) with the International Institute of Legal Project Management (IILPM).
Costs lawyers can claim CPD points by attending my course as the IILPM is an accredited body with the Costs Lawyers Standards Board.
If you would like to become a Legal Project Associate (LPA), then you must attend the first two days of one of my training courses scheduled below.
If you would like to become a Legal Project Practitioner (LPP) then you must attend all three days of one of my training courses scheduled below.
SUMMARY: WHAT YOU WILL GAIN BY ATTENDING ONE OF MY COURSES
1. An understanding about how to apply project management techniques to legal matters. You will become fully conversant about project management concepts and terminology by the end of the course and, most importantly, you will be able to explain and apply them in the context of legal service delivery.
2. Improved leadership skills as you will be capable and confident of leading legal project teams to help ensure successful outcomes.
3. Insights about how to convince clients of your legal project management skills.
4. How to go about improving your organisation’s processes and procedures to help improve legal service delivery, including how to implement legal project management successfully.
5. Certification as a Legal Project Associate (LPA) or Legal Project Practitioner (LPP) as administered by the International Institute of Legal Project Management (IILPM). Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a hard-copy certificate, commendation letter and business card confirming your certification status. You will also be entered on the database of registered legal project professionals maintained by the IILPM.
- Written notes covering all topics referred to in each course.
- IILPM Templates which can be used to execute key tasks found in legal project management.
- Practical workshops: my public courses have practical workshops and exercises baked in. Experience shows these really help students better understand key concepts and develop their legal project management skills. I often find that in my public courses particularly, people learn almost as much from each other as they do from me – the course is a great opportunity to network, share experiences and learn about what other people are doing.
- I usually recommend that any in-house training should also include workshops and exercises whenever possible and that they be based on real problems facing the legal service delivery team (I can work with you to create workshops and exercises tailored for you).
- Alumni slots: I am delighted to say that past graduates of my public courses volunteer to do short ‘alumni slots’ where they return and explain to course participants how they have applied lessons learned during the course while they develop legal project management capability in their law firm or in-house legal department.
- Post course follow-up: few things are as frustrating as completing a course full of new ideas and enthusiasm, only to find when you return to work course notes get filed away as the daily demands of job take over again. I am really keen that course graduates get to apply legal project management after training. With this in mind I keep in touch with all course graduates. I also offer course graduates three hours of free consultancy advice (via telephone or skype). I find the people who take up this offer are usually those charged with implementing legal project management in their organisation. Some people continue the consultations, which become chargeable after the three hours.
SUMMARY COURSE OUTLINE
Broadly the course is in two parts.
- The first two days we work through the core elements of the IILPM 4-Phase LPM framework:
- Matter Definition
- Matter Planning
- Matter Delivery and
- Matter Close.
- Then on day three we consider legal project leadership including how to further improve legal service delivery using Agile, Process Mapping and I.T. support for LPM.
WORKSHOPS AND EXERCISES
My teaching style is informal, but please be aware that this is an intensive course. I appreciate that it is quite a commitment for legal service professionals to take three days out of their business as usual activities to attend a training course. So my commitment to you in return is a course which is comprehensive, engaging and at times challenging.
With this in mind, please be prepared to fully engage and participate in the workshops and exercises.
Students usually get a lot out of the workshops and exercises. Everyone particularly enjoys the opportunity to work alongside a wide range of professionals engaged in legal service delivery. My previous courses have been attended by solicitors, barristers, cost lawyers, in-house lawyers, government lawyers, professional support lawyers, business development professionals and project managers.
COURSE DATES, VENUES AND COST
Maximum Class Size: The maximum number of students per class is 12.
My Next Course Dates:
- October 9th, 10th and 11th 2019.
Venue: The Gestalt Centre, 15 – 23 St Pancras Way, London NW1 0PT.
- November 13th, 14th and 15th 2019.
Venue: The Hatton, 51-53 Hatton Garden, London EC1N 8HN.
Price: Tickets for the first two days of the course (Legal Project Associate) cost £800.00 per delegate (excluding any 3rd party ticketing transaction fees). Tickets for all 3 days of the course (Legal Project Practitioner) cost £1200.00 per delegate (excluding any 3rd party ticketing transaction fees).
Cost includes refreshments and lunch each day, copies of all course materials and registration fee to become a certified Legal Project Associate or Legal Project Practitioner and have your name placed on the register administered by the International Institute of Legal Project Management.
Cancellation Policy: Full refund will be given in the event of cancellation by you up to 7 days before course commencement.
RESERVE YOUR PLACE AND ORDER BELOW
Please select a course you would like to attend below, after which you will be taken through the payment process.
Rest assured that the payment process is secure. My website is secure (illustrated by the padlock icon alongside the website address) and the ticketing and payment platform I use is also secure.
I am also happy to invoice you directly if this is what you prefer – please contact me about this.